Wednesday, February 24, 2010

NOT Neuropathy??

This time frustrated doesn't even begin to cover how I am currently feeling. Monday I went to a neurologist, hoping and praying to finally have some answers on how to help reduce the pain and inflammation in my hands. Seriously, I miss my job, and want to get back to my life!
Help, I got, but not what I was expecting. Last year my pain management doctor had a neurologist at Watson Clinic (an enormous medical center here) run an EMG test on my hands.The new neurologist told me the EMG tests showed NO neuropathy! WHAT???!!!! I knew the test showed some carpal tunnel in my right hand. I was told the CT was caused by the neuropathy and that it would just come back. After my thyroid surgery I was not ready to have anymore surgeries anyways. Plus the CT doesn't cause the type of pain I have, nor is it supposed to cause inflammation in the knuckles. Further, both the pain and inflammation are in BOTH hands and the CT is only in the right. 
I am so totally lost and frustrated. I will be calling my GP for an appointment on Friday to start this process all over again. They had previously ruled out rheumatoid arthritis as those test results were negative. This started over 2 1/2 years ago now. It took a year for the neuropathy diagnosis, and I thought we were getting somewhere then. Now I am back to square one and would like to crawl in a hole and bawl my eyes out. 
For all those idiots out there who still think there is nothing wrong, I may be able to fake pain, which I can assure you I am not, but I certainly can not fake the inflammation.
If anyone has had similar problems please let me know. Thanks! chele


p.s. I have the same problems in my feet.

2 comments:

Unknown February 24, 2010 at 5:41 PM  

Hey chele its doxielover70. You might want to read this site http://arthritis.about.com/od/nervepain/a/neuropathyguide_4.htm. Has explainations on different things that could cause what you are going through.

chelekell February 25, 2010 at 5:29 PM  

Thanks Steph, I am reading it right now!