Saturday, January 22, 2011

I’m a Spoonie, are you?

First I want to apologize to everyone for not writing in so long. I’ve been saving my hands for other ventures, mostly watercolor painting.

Today, thanks to Twitter, I discovered a brilliant mind. Christine Miserandino is the author of The Spoon Theory. http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/articles/written-by-christine/the-spoon-theory-written-by-christine-miserandino/

Daily we deal with the “but you don’t look sick” or “why can’t you?” or even worse “you’re just lazy”. Christine’s best friend asked her to explain how she feels on a daily basis. Christine thought for a while and handed her a bunch of spoons. Everyday those with illness start off with so many spoons each day. Some days we may have more spoons, some days less, but each day we start with “x” amount of limited spoons. Spoons = capabilities = tasks = energy. Today, I got up. This cost me a spoon. In fact, I didn’t get much sleep as I was awaken after only five hours. This costs me another spoon. I got up, went to the bathroom, threw on some clothes, brushed my teeth, and made a bowl of cereal. This cost me a spoon. I hung out with my neighbor and painted a picture, this cost me a spoon. I made dinner, another spoon. I may only have one spoon left, I’m saving it in reserve as I’ve been sick all week. After all, I don’t want to borrow from tomorrow’s spoons.

If I stay up to late watching tv I will be nauseous, and hurting, so I might lose my spoon yet.

I think I’ll look for a silver spoon ring on ebay to remind me to always count my spoons, how about you?

0 comments: