Monday, July 26, 2010

Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream Recipe

I've been wanting an ice cream maker for forever. Our grocery store, Aldi, had one last year for $20. They are offering it again this summer. My best friend bought one and is keeping it at my house ( :) ). I try to have her and our other best friend over for dinner every few weeks. Everyone can use the ego boost those two women can give someone with the fawning they do over my cooking. Last time I made chicken cordon blue burgers and home made french fries. The burgers are simple I took my basic chicken burger mixture, ground chicken, grated zucchini, and a little salt. Made patties, and put them on the George Foreman. Once they were mostly cooked I added a slice of baby swiss, and a slice of ham. I bought crusty rolls from the bakery covered them with honey mustard and a slice of fresh tomato. They were good.
I like to cook but I also realize I need to make things I can do ahead of time or are simple. Tonight's menu will include a simple iceberg lettuce wedge salad with doctored blue cheese dressing, pork chops, and pesto risotto, and strawberry shortcake ice cream. The pesto was made and frozen a few weeks ago, the blue cheese was doctored Saturday night, and the shortcake was cubed and frozen then also. I just made the ice cream, yes at 4:30 a.m. The pork chops will be simple salt, pepper, garlic, olive oil and a frying pan. Risotto is easy too. Granted, I have to pull my stool up to the stove to stir it for a while, but it's simple.
Back to the ice cream maker, it is an electric one that doesn't require ice or salt. I have made chocolate, chocolate raspberry, vanilla with cherries and chocolate chunk, and now the strawberry shortcake. I have made most of them with splenda, except the chocolate. And, most of them I made for my cousin who just had jaw surgery, I haven't really eaten any myself yet. My husband tasted the strawberry shortcake ice cream before he left for work and swears it's better than sex. He, and my cousins, also swore the chocolate was the best chocolate ice cream they ever ate. Let me know if you want any of the other recipes.

Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream

16 oz fresh or frozen (no sugar added) strawberries
1 cup plus 1/2 cup splenda, divided
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 cup 2% milk
2 eggs
1 cup shortcake, cubed, then freeze

In a blender put the strawberries and 1/2 cup of the splenda. Blend to puree.In a bowl whisk 2 eggs, add splenda, cream, milk, and strawberries. My machine requires you turn it on and pour the ingredients in the spout then let the ice cream maker do it's thing for half an hour. After half an hour add the shortcake cubes. Stir the cubes in well then freeze the entire mixture to harden (ice cream comes out of the machine in a soft serve type consistency).

0 comments: