Saturday, August 15, 2009

The Importance of a Good Support System

If you live with fibromyalgia, neuropathy, CFS, MPS, or another "invisible pain illness" there is no doubt you may come across naysayers, negative Nancy's, friends and family who in the least don't understand what you are going through, in the worst... don't believe you. Let's face the truth, it's easier to empathize with illnesses you can see or even are more prevalent, like cancer, heart attack, or stroke. www.fibrohugs.com has an excellent "letter to normals" that I believe should be a must read for everyone, especially those who deal with fibromites in their family, friends, and even coworkers.
When I worked for a certain, now bought out, aircraft parts manufacturer, in sales, I sold 1 million dollars a year more than the next closest sales rep. But, all my boss could see was I had more sick days than anyone else. My last job was at the Disney Reservation center where I had an excellent, extremely understanding boss (he had gout so he sympathized!) who knew how hard it was for me to leave my job there, I loved it so.
So, if you don't have support at home, work, or in your circle, what should you do? An excellent question. I found an amazing support group online. Soulten's fibro support is my favorite. http://forum2.aimoo.com/soultensfibrosupport/errno-1/warmtips.html
This group of people are not only my online support group. They are my online family. Most of these people I met in the fibromyalgia chat room on www.prohealth.com. They do not all have fibro, some have depression, are bipolar, or have neuropathy like me. They are from all over the world, and I don't think I would have made it through the past year without having their support.
One of the hardest things I had to learn was to kick the negative Nancy's to the curb. I cleaned house of the people who refused to believe my illness is not "all in my head". As hard as cleaing my life of these people were, and in some cases they were really long term friendships, I had to. No one should have to prove they are ill. You wouldn't ask a cancer patient to see their chemo treatment for proof would you?
I want to thank my support system. I have the most amazing husband who works 50-60 hours a week, takes care of me and our home too. Sweetie, you are my rock and I love you. To my best friends who I am realizing worry way too much about me and are always there to lend help, even from an hour away! And, lastly to my friend, neighbor, and sister Nan. Somedays I don't know what I'd do without you. You will never know how much the simple act of unloading and reloading my dishwasher means to me... and for that and all the other things you do for me (including picking up my prescriptions in the pouring rain) I love you (and u are NOT a negative Nancy!).

0 comments: