Thursday, October 22, 2009

Kim's Pink Kiss Cookies (meringue)

These are my sister in law, Kim's recipe. However, when I made them I used 3/4 cup of splenda instead of sugar and sugar free jello. Also, I tried to make them the regular way with sugar first, but the egg whites wouldn't thicken enough. My friend, Ronnee, told me to chill the bowl, and it worked!!!! oh, and I skipped the chocolate chips cause I forgot them. Also, I had to cook them for about an extra 45 minutes, seriously. Must \ be the crazy humidity here, I had looked at a few recipes online that said that could happen. I ate one after 30 mins and tasted like a big marshmallow. Probably not so great to eat uncooked egg whites, oops!


3 egg whites (let eggs come to room temperature)
1/8tsp salt
3/4 c sugar
1 1/2 tblsp strawberry jello
1/2 c chocolate chips

Beat egg whites and salt til fluffy. Add sugar and jello, beat til stiff. The mixing process must add LOTS of air or it will not work. No kitchen aid mixers.

Fold in chocolate chips. Drop with spoon onto lightly greased then floured pans.

Bake at 250 degrees for roughly 25 -30 minutes. Observe for pink chalky color.

3 comments:

Anonymous November 19, 2009 at 1:42 PM  

These look nummy! I find your blog to be very inspirational and my heart goes out to you. I found http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/ to be a helpful site that gives tips to manage diabetes and also has diabetes-friendly recipes that I'm looking forward to trying!

Anonymous November 19, 2009 at 1:44 PM  

I want to try these! http://thebeehive.org/diabetes has some recipes that look good too.

jtihrke November 23, 2009 at 2:48 PM  

I checked out that Beehive site and they also have holiday recipes that are diabetic friendly! It seems like it's hard to find good recipes that are healthy for me these days. So many people are all about the taste - but what about the nutritional value?!