Thursday, October 1, 2009

My Grandma



Anyone who knows me can tell you what a huge proponate of Breast Cancer Awareness I am. In fact last year for my birthday I received two big gift bags of “Think Pink” gear. The year before, pink pots and pans (which inspired a pink kitchen that thrills my husband). In fact, october is my favorite month. Breast Cancer Awareness, aka “Think Pink!” month is like my Christmas – pink everywhere.

What people may not realize or know is I am not a Breast Cancer Awareness fan or supporter because I love pink, rather I’m a pink fan because I’m a breast cancer awareness supporter. In 1979 my Grandmother, Virginia Phoenix, died from cancer that started in her breast. She had a large lump which, I understand from my Mother, she ignored for quite a while. By the time she went to the doctor it was too late, the cancer had spread to her lymph nodes then her entire body. I was eleven at the time so I don’t remember much about her… her smile, her thin curly short thin gray hair. Large family dinners at the holidays with a table that seemed to stretch for miles (Grandma had 8 children some of whom had large families themselves), her love of the color lavender or purple.
This is why I love pink. Right now I want you to feel your boobies. That’s right feel ‘em. Better yet, have someone feel them for you. And, if you haven’t had a mammorgram recently pick up the phone and schedule that too. YES, RIGHT NOW….. GO!!!!

3 comments:

Stacey October 4, 2009 at 4:17 PM  

Such an adorable BCA pup!

Fran October 5, 2009 at 2:05 PM  

Thanks for the message! I am always glad to see people raising awareness. I'm a breast cancer survivor and when I was in chemo I would have spells of exhaustion, heat, chills. My best friend was my ChiliPad - a mattress pad that lets you cool down (or heat up) your bed, mine lets me set any temperature between 46 and 118 degrees. I was spending all my time in bed anyway, so having it be nice and cool or warmed up before I got there was a lifesaver.

Nan October 6, 2009 at 5:34 PM  

You seem to be on a long journey and that saddens me but I want to thank you for be selflisly (if that's a word) for sharing with others your dark places so maybe someone else can see some light. My sister is a breast cancer survivor and she only learned that she had cancer after she spent thousands of dollars on buying custom made bras since she was 14 years of age because she felt so different. She called me on the phone from NY to tell me she had a breast reduction and how perky her girls look. She was so thrilled. I run out to Victoria Secret and buy her this red sexy bra and even had it sent Federal Express so she would get it the next day. She wanted it to be a surprise. I get home from Fed Ex and the message on my answering machine isn't perky as was my sister's voice two days ago. I call her and she tells me, she has breast cancer. When they did her reduction, they take a biopsy of the tissue and my husband and I were on the next plane from FL to New York. In the busy streets of Manhattan, I walked hand in hand with my sister and as we approached Sloan Kettering Memorial Center, she grabbed my arm and into this store we went. On the counter was a bin of the pink arm bands filled to the top. She bought the entire bin and began to just hand them out to people and telling the women, get your mammograms but before we went to see her surgeon, she wouldn't go in the office until I called my doctor in FL to schedule a density test for my breasts. Regular mammograms cannot always detect what advance technology can. I called, scheduled the appointment and I was able to intervene with my sister receiving that red bra; that's all I could think of. She wanted her breasts to be small but not this way so on behalf of my sister; Susan and my new sister Michele, please get tested and remember, those with big breasts, get the proper scan and do not let your doctor's tell you otherwise. They work for you and your body.