Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Vacation Planning

I'm a planner, frankly I'm a little obsessive, especially when it comes to vacations. For example, when I went to New York with my friend, Aleta, we made a list of where we wanted to go and mapped it out. That way we could see things that were in the same area on the same day.And, yes, we had a time schedule, a rough one, how else to fit everything we wanted to see in such a short amount of time? Makes sense, right? My husband is the opposite, he doesn't understand why I can't go with the flow.
As usual, I digress. I am leaving in approximately 24 hours to go to St. Lucia for my cousin's wedding. I can honestly say I do not have everything timed out. I have a rough idea of what we are doing. Arrive Wednesday afternoon, hopefully nap, then dinner, and then the bachelorette party.
My biggest worry with this trip has been a flare. Wednesday alone we leave at 4:30 a.m. for the airport, international flight = arrive 2 hours before the flight, right? We arrive St. Lucia at 1:30 their time. Grab our bags, hopefully don't get questioned by the customs agent for the fur lined cuffs or edible panties in my suitcase (gag gifts for the party, I SWEAR). Then find the Sandals desk and take a hour and a half ride to the resort. I'm guessing that should put us to our resort by 3:30. Hopefully this will mean time for a short nap, as my best friend has to take a quiz for school online at 7:00 p.m. Then, like I said dinner, and bachelorette party. What I'm trying to say is, it's going to be an extremely long day.
I've been trying to prepare ahead of time so I will be less stressed at the last minute. My suitcase, and I mean this truly, has been packed for a month. Hey, I bought some new clothes and felt it was the safest place to avoid pet hair :). I have one entire suitcase of stuff for the party, gift bags, prizes, etc etc. Today I whipped some of my sugar free banana nut muffins together for the girls. Two of my cousins will be on the same flight as my best friend and I so I promised them all homemade banana nut muffins for the early morning flight. If you haven't tried my muffin recipe yet, you ought to. Seriously it's the easiest thing to make. I have a kitchen aid stand mixer. I dump the ingredients in it one at a time and it does the rest. Therefore, it's incredibly easy, and not taxing on me at all.
I think the most important things you can do to help yourself if you have a chronic illness and are going on a trip is planning.

  1. Make a list of what to pack. If you aren't going to wear it between now and the trip. Put it in your bag and check it off your list. 
  2. Once you have a list of what to pack, you can make a second list of things you need. For instance, I needed batteries, pantyhose, travel size containers.
  3. Make up your containers, and mark them. Put them in a ditty bag or a ziplock bag. 
  4. A week before check all of your prescriptions. Make sure you have enough, if not call for refills. If you have new bottles of medications then, and don't need them until the trip, pack them in your carry on.
  5. Make your carry on easy. I am checking my bags, except for a backpack with wheels. The backpack carries my medications, my cameras, my snacks, and even my purse.
  6. Pack some healthy snacks, especially if you are diabetic. Unless you have been to the location before you really won't know what you will encounter food wise. I have some trail mix packed, and my best friend is bringing almonds. Both low fat, low sugar, low carb treats. 
  7. Plan rest. I know I have to nap on Wednesday when we arrive, it's imperative. I know Thursday the wedding is at 4 which gives me all day to sleep and lay by the pool. Friday is a tour. Saturday is another part rest, part fun day.
  8. Enjoy yourself. You now you are going to be overdoing it. Seriously, it may as well be worth it!

0 comments: