Thursday, June 17, 2010

Mushroom & Bacon Risotto Recipe

Before I share this recipe I want to remind you of something I am learning myself. Risotto for us diabetics should be a side dish served with protein and vegetables. I like to pair it with a leafy salad and some lean center cut pork chops simply sautéed in olive oil with salt and pepper.

2 1/4 C low sodium chicken broth
1 c chopped mushrooms (I like the gourmet mushroom blend available at Publix, or baby bella mushrooms, but you can also use regular mushrooms)
3-4 slices pancetta or regular bacon, chopped and browned
1 tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
3/4 c uncooked arborrio rice
1/4 c dry white wine (optional)
1/2 c freshly grated parmesan cheese
1/2 c heavy cream

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute the onion & garlic until tender, about 5 mins. Add the wine & simmer until absorbed by the rice. Add the broth 1/2 c at a time, maintaining a simmer so the rice absorbs the broth slowly. After 15 mins add the bacon and mushrooms. Cook another 5 minutes or until rice is tender. Add cream and parmesan, stir and heat through.

0 comments: