Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Carb Counting

Last week I started to see a new doctor here in Largo (by the way we moved!). The first thing she did was order blood tests to check my blood sugar and thyroid levels, when the results came back my glucose was high, 139 fasting! A rate which should ideally be 99. Now you probably think I've been sitting here eating a pint of Ben & Jerry's every night or a bag of bite size snickers, I wish! No what I have been doing is eating a lot of carbs. Let's face it, moving cost around $2500 which leaves us flat broke. When you are broke what is the first thing that gets cut from the grocery list? The fresh veggies. Potatoes are a heck of a lot cheaper, I know, I'm Irish! Just kidding for you other Irish peoples who may find that offensive, but really I am, Irish, sort of, I think, well that's a conversation for a whole different time. My husband is also a meat and potatoes man. I prefer chicken breast while he prefers beef and pork. I do admit he has been expanding his range lately, and losing about 30 lbs. I'd like to digress further to tell you how jealous I am that he has done nothing to lose this weight, not worked out one second of one day, just eating what I cook him instead of fast food or truck stop junk. I am very proud him for one, trying new things, two liking new foods, and losing the weight. He now weighs the least he has since I have known him. Granted. I have lost about 25 lbs myself but it has taken a few years and I bounce up and down.
Back to the blood sugar / carb problem. I have decided to do carb counting. Today I checked out cookbooks for diabetics at my local library.
Carb counting is a meal planning approach that can offer a lot of flexibility. This approach is based on the main influencer of blood glucose - grams of carbohydrate in foods. 
Carbohydrates are found in starches and sugars. Foods that contain carbs include:

  • breads, crackers, and cereals
  • pasta, rice, and grains
  • vegetables
  • milk and yogurt
  • fruit and juice
  • sugar, honey, syrup, and molasses
ALL SUGARS ARE CARBS. Plain and simple. I find it important to notate that I eat a lot of plain yogurt. When I look at the Nutrition Facts label sugar is listed. This sugar is in the lactose from the milk the yogurt is made with. This does not matter because ALL carbohydrates turn into blood glucose sooner or later. The sources of the carbs are less important than the total amount of carbs. 
In my meal planning I am going to follow the example I found in a cookbook called 1,001 Delicious Recipes for People with Diabetes until I can see a dietitian this fall who will tailor this specifically to my needs.
My example:
Breakfast: 60 gm carbs, 
A.M. Snack: 15 gm carbs
Lunch: 45 gm carbs
P.M. Snack: 15 gm carbs
Dinner: 55 gm carbs
Bedtime: 15 gm carbs


I see several problems to overcome. First, I don't eat that much. About two months ago when all the drama happened with the neurologist my Aunt pointed out to me that I do not eat enough, which shuts down the metabolism. I made every attempt to change this. I ate 5 times a day, even if a "meal" was plain yogurt with berries. What I am going to say next sounds extremely lame.... it was a lot of work to eat that often!! I felt like I was ALWAYS eating! Needless to say I didn't stick with it and went back to my old non eating ways. To top it off I cut veggies from the grocery list to save money. This past week we went to the grocery store and spent almost $100. I bought $8 in shrimp, no other meat (I bought plenty on sale the previous week), no soda (Coke Zero), and no pet food. Mostly, fresh veggies and some fruit. 
I'm hoping someone will start this carb counting journey with me, so if you are out there and want to join me on this venture email me!
Off now for a "bedtime snack" of plain yogurt and fresh berries with splenda. 


Here is an excellent carb counting website. www.carb-counter.net

1 comments:

chelekell June 16, 2010 at 1:56 AM  

WHOA who gave the makers of this generic brand of plain yogurt permission to put modified cornstarch in my yogurt? This raises the carb count on plain yogurt from 12 g to 25, that's double! I can see I will have to go back to making my own again, but 20 raspberries (fresh) have only 5 g :)