Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Cucumber, Sweet Onion, and Pomegranate Salad

A few years ago I was lucky enough to attend a luncheon cooked by the fabulous Food Network star Cat Cora. I have made this salad a few times, or just the dressing alone with my own salad blend (I tend to favor fruit and nuts in my salads), and everyone always loves it.


Cucumber, Sweet Onion, and Pomegranate Salad
1 large cucumber, cut into 1/4 inch slices
1 small Vidalia sweet onion, peeled, halved, and sliced thinly into half moons
2 tbsp torn mint leaves
2 tbsp pomegranate seeds
1/2 c pomegranate vinaigrette (see recipe below)

To prepare the salad toss all the ingredients together in a large bowl and drizzle with the vinaigrette. Toss once more and serve.
Cat's recipe doesn't call for lettuce of any kind but I use a spring salad mix with this.

Pomegranate Vinaigrette
1 C pomegranate juice (I use POM brand, you can make some with the leftover pomegranate seeds if you are ambitious, put them in the blender, then strain)
1/2 c olive oil
1/2 c red wine vinegar
1 shallot, minced
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp fresh squeezed lemon juice

Whisk together all ingredients in a medium blowl and refrigerate until ready to use. 

0 comments: