Monday, June 29, 2009

Behave yourself!!

When I first found out that I had type 2 diabetes of course I took "the class". I know that I was shown how to use my meter and where in the numbers my sugar level should be. But, I don't remember any huge warning signs going off about what could happen if you aren't careful. What kind of health problems can be caused by not "behaving", by not keeping your blood sugar from spiking up and down. I'm not writing this to say "poor me". I'm writing this as a warning to you, other people who have diabetes and don't know the dangers and are still eating sugar, drinking soda, drinking kool-aid, eating tons of carbs...etc.
These are the things you can look forward to if you don't watch your sugar and carbs, don't test your blood as instructed:

  • diabetic neuropathy, painful nerve damage
  • stroke
  • eye disease, such as retinopathy, glaucoma, cataracts. Diabetic retinopathy is a leading cause of blindness
  • heart disease
  • kidney disease (nephropathy)
  • circulatory problems
  • periodontal disease (gum disease and mouth infection)
  • atherosclerosis, the formation of fatty plaques inside the arteries which can lead to blockages or a clot (thrombus). This can lead to heart attack, stroke, and decreased circulation in the arms and legs (peripheral vascular disease)
  • damage to the nerves in the autonomic nervous system which can lead to gastroparesis (paralysis of the stomach), chronic diarrhea, and an inability to control heart rate and blood pressure
  • high blood pressure
  • high cholesterol and triglycerides
  • infections are frequently more dangerous in someone with diabetes because the body's normal ability to fight infections is impaired. To compound the problem, infections may worsen glucose control, which further delays recovery from infections
  • and more including death. Diabetes is the direct or indirect cause of at least 200,000 deaths each year.

0 comments: