Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Slow Cooker Yogurt Recipe

8 cups (half-gallon) of milk (I used whole milk, but I'm told you can use 2%, maybe next time)


1/2 cup store-bought natural, live/active-culture plain yogurt as a starter. I used plain Dannon yogurt.

1 packet plain gelatin

 
Plug in slow cooker and turn to low. Add the milk. Cover and cook on low for 2 1/2 hours. Turn off the slow cooker. Leave the cover on, and let it sit for 3 hours.


Scoop out 2 cups of the warmish milk and put it in a bowl. Whisk in yogurt and gelatin. Then dump the bowl contents back into the slow cooker. Stir to combine.


Put the lid back on the cooker. Keep it  turned off, in fact I unplugged mine, and wrap a heavy bath towel all the way around the slow cooker for insulation.


Go to bed, or let it sit for 8 hours.


Line a colander with cheesecloth and put it over a bowl in the refrigerator. The extra moisture will drain off, thickening the mixture. Your yogurt will last for seven to 10 days. Save 1/2 cup as a starter to make a new batch.

Yogurt is excellent for an easy morning breakfast or a nutritious late night snack. Pair it with some fresh berries. I love this with some artificial sweetener and strawberries. I also like to put the yogurt with fruit in the blender for a smoothie to go.
Plus, the enzymes in live yogurt are terrific for your digestive system. I'm hoping if I eat some everyday it will help with my irritable bowel syndrome.

0 comments: