Sunday, September 20, 2009

Tips and Tricks for Your Doctor's Visit Part 1 of 2

I have a doctor’s appointment this Friday with my PCP (primary care physician). In order to prepare myself for the appointment I have made one of my famous lists. No this one doesn’t remind me to take a shower, brush my teeth, or “scoop shit” as my truck driving husband so profoundly calls cleaning the cat litter box. This one is a lot more important. This is a list of the symptoms, questions, and problems that I need to discuss with the doctor. This is important for so many reasons. First, I forget to ask about symptoms or problems I’m having. For instance, I had an x-ray of my left shoulder last year. The x-ray was fine, so I just let it go. Of course it still hurts, but it’s hurt for so long I just take it as a part of my life. The problem with ignoring things is they just get worse. Not only does the shoulder hurt but when it is the worst, the pain goes all the way down the left arm to my finger tips making them number then usual. The problem is probably just a pinched nerve, and even more probably even an easier problem to fix rather than to ignore it for several YEARS as a part of life. Ridiculous, no?

Second, for about the past six months I am getting a scalp rash whenever my body believes I have overdone it. Now yesterday I did extremely little: I took a shower and gave the dog one with me. I have a seat in the shower so it is pretty easy, and she is extremely well behaved. Plus, she’s only 13 lbs so she doesn’t take too long! Then hubby and I ran to 3 stores to pick up groceries. I know it sounds crazy but soda is cheapest at the Dollar General, produce cheapest at Aldi, and meat has to come from either Publix or Sweetbay. We were home in an hour and a half and I used the electric cart at Publix which is very big in comparison to the other stores. Apparently my body thought I overdid it. So about one a.m. my scalp started feeling like there were bugs crawling on it, then a little scratching and then severly itchy. What I do when this happens is take a shower, conditioner and cold water help sooth the scalp enough so I can fall asleep. Now tonight, I can tell you already I overdid it. I should have made baked potatoes, but I had to get fancy and cut up potatoes to grill them. Also, I was determined to make my sugar free blueberry muffins before the blueberries went bad, and I have been promising my friend to make her cinnamon rolls for, well, about 6 weeks now. She bought splenda and a hot roll mix that long ago, and it is really easy to do. And, it’s her 25th wedding anniversary so when she asked me to do them I figured what the hell. The problem is I stood when I was cutting the potatoes and onions, I unloaded and loaded the dishwasher myself, standing, and made the rolls standing. I did pull the walker my husband brought home for me into the kitchen to do the muffins, it has a seat and he pointed out that it would make a good “stool” for when I am in the kitchen. I can tell you though my scalp is already starting to itch. *&*#^$#*&^$@ (krippers!!).


I also have to remember to tell him how stiff my neck and shoulders have been. I swear it doesn’t hurt, but it does feel like my head is attached to someone else’s neck and shoulders.


Lastly, I have to ask for a new neurologist recommendation. Can you believe I am not under the care of one? I have seen one at the medical center I go to. I can tell you this… I really like my primary care doctor. His name is Dr. Estupinan and he is a straight shooter. I am a pretty blunt person and like the same, especially from doctors. But, I don’t like the neurologist they have there at the medical center, and the medical center doesn’t like for you to change. I’m not going to give you the neurologist’s name as I don’t want to be sued, but I can tell you, two things. The neurologist is one of those type of doctor’s who when asked a question gives a non answer. Second, I am not the only patient who doesn’t care for him.


Ok, I’m really hurting badly so I am going to ask you to consider this part one of two. Tomorrow some tips and tricks for going to the doctor.

0 comments: