Sunday, September 6, 2009

To Carb or Not To Carb

I admit it. I AM A CARB ADDICT. I crave carbs. In fact, as I write this I am eating one of my famous sugar free blueberry muffins (yum!). In a 1992 study as reported in the book, What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Fibromyalgia, by Paul St. Amand M.D. and Claudia Marek, it states that 60% of Fibromyalgia patients of normal weight crave carbohydrates, and 75% of obese Fibromyalgia patients crave carbohydrates. Some Fibromyalgia patients have a low carbohydrate intolerance or reactive hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) that occurs after eating carbohydrates. This can cause problems metabolizing carbohydrates, inability to lose weight, fatigue, carbohydrate craving and worsening symptoms.
Furthermore, carbohydrates stimulate insulin production. People with type 2 diabetes are insulin resistant. (krippers I think I need to cut back on my muffin intake). With insulin resistance the body either can not produce enough insulin or the body's cells do not respond fully to its effects. Insulin is necessary for the body to be able to use glucose for energy. When you eat food, the body breaks down all of the sugars and starches into glucose, which is the basic fuel for the cells in the body. Insulin takes the sugar from the blood into the cells. This ultimately leads to a raised blood glucose.
The answer for both diabetics and fibromites is NOT a low carbohydrate diet as one would think. Rather the answer for both is a balanced diet. A low carbohydrate diet tends to mean a diet higher in fat and also higher in protien. Neither are healthy either.
Take this model from The Green Mountain at Fox Run (http://www.fitwoman.com/fitbriefings/plate_model.shtml). A plate is divided in half, then one half is divided into quarters. In one quarter you will find protein, in the other you will find grains (such as brown rice) or starchy vegetable (such as green beans). In the largest portion, or half of the entire plate you will find veggies and / or fruit.

Remember:
1. If you eat more carbohydrates than your body can use, your blood sugar can climb to an unhealthy level.
2. Blood sugar before a meal should be in the 90-120 mg range.
3. Blood sugar 2 hours after a meal typically should be no higher than 190.
4. Keep a log of your blood sugar, meaning take your blood sugar 2 hours after you eat. Write down what you ate AND what your blood sugar is 2 hours after.
5. (this one is just for me) Practice what I preach.... I've got my notebook to use for a log and I'm ready to do it! p.s. can someone give me a ride to the grocery store for some veggies? :)

*** update.... I made my first notation in my log. I was pretty good for lunch, I made an egg salad wrap with flatout flatbread, light original. Has no sugar, 6 net carbs and 36 g of fiber. Plus lots of romaine lettuce on the wrap, and a little sweet onion for flavor. I am happy to report 2 hours later my blood sugar is 148!!! how about that!

0 comments: