Thursday, September 24, 2009

Today I recieved an email from a lovely woman in Ontario, Canada. She searched for neuropathy information and found my blog. She has been diagnosed with neuropathy but not has diabetes. The doctors do not know how she got neuropathy. I hope she doesn't mind if I show you this excerpt from her email:
"Have been struggling with this for about 7 years now. Doctors here don't seem to know how to treat this. I have been on many kinds of medications. (Lyrica, gabapentine, celebrex ect) nothing seems to work. At the moment I am on oxycodone 1 tablet 3 times a day. This is far from being enough. It doesn't even take 1/4 of my pain away. On a scale of 1 to 10 my pain is usually 9 ... I have told this to my neurologist but she doesn't think it is that bad. I am so frustrated with all these doctors. I totally understand their concern with addiction but I was told by a doctor at a pain clinic in Toronto that I would probably be married to narcotics for the rest of my life. The report was sent to the doctor who referred me to this clinic and yet she doesn't think I'm in that much pain."
This is part of my response:
"Unfortunately this is all too common for someone with a chronic pain condition. The most important thing I could tell her is not to give up.
The problem with the amount of pain we are in is it is pretty rare, something like 4-7% of neuropathy patients. So then doctors think we are drug seekers, at least the bad doctors. It sounds like you need a new neurologist. Don't give up because when it comes to chronic pain conditions usually you have to see many doctors before you find the right one. I found this link for you http://www.neuropathy.org/site/PageServer?pagename=phy_int_ca_ontario . Those doctors might be able to help. It is important to keep a pain diary. Include what u are capable of doing and not capable of doing. Make a list of what you need to ask the doctor. Unfortunately the frustration you are going through for someone in chronic pain is not abnormal. It is also not abnormal to have some fog, like short term memory problems. And, no depression is not uncommon. How can you be in so much pain all the time and not be depressed? My doctor put me on cymbalta and it helps with the pain too ..

Have any of the doctors run any tests on you like EMG or other neurological tests? "
Tomorrow is my turn for the doctor. Gotta stand up for myself, get a referral to a real neurologist. I also need to remember to call about my application to receive cymbalta for free. Must do that now before I forget again. Soft hugzzzz to all.
Also, please feel free to email me anytime. Any questions, concerns, frustrations, or if you just need to talk to someone who understands. You will find me at alonelydragonfly@aol.com. Also, I am on MSN chat under brokendamselfly@live.com. I look forward to hearing from you... chele

1 comments:

Rala September 24, 2009 at 5:55 PM  

Have you ever tried taking Stabilized R-Alpha Lipoic Acid supplements? I read about a study performed by Mayo Cinic in which, the patients who were given alpha lipoic acid experienced dramatic improvements in symptoms, including a six-point drop in pain levels on a 10-point scale. Here's where you can read more about this: http://ralapure.com/neuropathy.asp Let me know if this helps.